Friday 6 May 2016

Thursday 5th May

 
This was the day the busy-ness started! Most days the Bishop and I say Morning Prayer together in his chapel after he has taken the children to school and work begins. Thursday, Ascension Day, was no exception.

After breakfast I headed off to Jouberton to Boitumelo School, with Fr Paul Letlala, rector of Jouberton. Founded in 1939, it was originally an Intermediate School but is now a Primary and intermediate School. It was visited by last year’s Sunday School Teachers’ Training team, and Codsall First School have set up a link with it. I was asked to bring out some photos, information papers and a donation of money, which I duly handed over to the Head Teacher – the first woman head of the school – Lydia Moiloa, who is also church warden at Holy Family Church, Jouberton.
Lydia took us on a tour of the Grade R and Grade 1 classes, and I was able to take photos to pass on to Codsall School. As we toured there was a smell of food being cooked, which is financed by the authorities. But any refurbishment of the buildings has to be financed by fundraising at the school. The education authority provides one exercise book per child, and if they run out, or the book is filled then further books have to be paid for by the families. It seemed to be a happy place, and I was put to the test when I had to read out the months of the year as displayed on one classroom wall!

Later in the day I travelled to Potchefstroom (Potch) to stay the night with my friends Peter and Ritha Menyatso, members of the Cathedral congregation. Ritha has been teaching in Ikageng, but is awaiting the papers for her new post, teaching Setswana through the medium of Afrikaans to Primary children in a school near their home. Different!

I’ve managed to get a nasty head cold, and went to the pharmacist. The best she could offer was Sudafed, which is a Class 2 drug here. Before I could buy it I had to be registered – they needed my name and date of birth – and a proper chemist’s label was attached to the box. This was then put in a little wire basket and sealed for me to take to the checkout to pay for. How much easier to pick up a packet in Tesco! My surprise was met with “Welcome to South Africa!” I hoping my throat will be OK for Saturday.

Later today – Friday – I’m going to stay with Fr Jacques Pieterse and his family to catch up, and then tomorrow we are off to Khuma for the POT training. Next week the Bishop has arranged for me to travel around the northern part of the Diocese, getting back to Klerksdorp the day before I fly home. I’ll write when I can, and internet access allows.

3 comments:

  1. Glad the school visit went well.
    Interesting to see the classroom set-up - double desks in lines for these 'infants'. Been a while since that was still followed here!
    Nice to spend time with Ritha - hope her new venture goes well.
    Hope the Sudafed is working and allows you to deliver the training as you would want to.
    All best wishes for the weekend and your travels. Take care. Jill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have been able to take further the school link with Codsall. There is no substitute for now and then meeting FACE TO FACE (even when you have a sore throat!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have been able to take further the school link with Codsall. There is no substitute for now and then meeting FACE TO FACE (even when you have a sore throat!)

    ReplyDelete