Sunday 28 May 2017

Cathy Mark in Matlosane - May 2017

First Impressions...

Saturday (27/5/17)

Well, it’s been twenty-four hours since I arrived in Johannesburg. After a long, albeit uneventful ten-hour flight from Heathrow, I was met at the airport by Bishop Steve and his eldest daughter. After a bite to eat, we made the three-hour journey to his residence in Klerksdorp (a neighvourhood with gated communities, guard dogs and leafy trees). Following a restful Friday, today was spent visiting the Bishop’s diocesan office in Klerksdorp, St Monica’s Church in Kanana (in full swing, preparing for Sundays’ services), and a local HIV/AIDS project. I also met up with Kgowe, the St Chad’s Volunteer who spent six months in the UK. It was good to see him in his homeland, in his own context. In the evening, I tasted pap (ground maize) and had my first experience of a South African braai (barbeque). Although I’m not much of a meat eater, I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. In the short time I’ve been here, the main things that have struck me are: how cold South Africa is… the season here is winter (I would describe it as a cool British spring during the day, and a British winter at night); the fact that a lot of social conversation revolves around the criminality and violence felt and experienced by locals, politics and the legacy of apartheid. On this latter note, there is indeed a marked difference between the townships and towns of Johannesburg which reflect its painful history. And, yet in all its brokenness, there is a beauty and charm to the people and the place. As I write this, I’m reminded of Graham Kendrick’s song:

Beauty for brokenness
Hope for despair
Lord, in the suffering
This is our prayer
Bread for the children
Justice, joy, peace
Sunrise to sunset
Your kingdom increase!
 
 
Sunday (28/5/17)

Today I attended St Monica’s Church in Kanana, in the diocese of Matlosane. Kanana is a township about a twenty minute drive from Klerksdorp where I’m being hosted by Bishop Steve and his family. I had been warned that it would be a longish service because the Bishop visits the churches in his parish about once a year and in today’s proceedings, he would be instituting the new rector and officiating the confirmations of ten candidates. At 8 am, after a briefing from the Bishop, introductions made, and a prayer – we processed from outside of the church building, down the aisle of the church and headed to our places around the high altar. The colour of red splashed on the altar, clergy and serving laity. I, in my polka-dot dress (in collar), took my seat beside a now retired Canon. I participated in the proceedings – giving a short reading and being a witness in the institution of the rector part of the service; then proclaiming the gospel in the main service. What a privilege! The service was conducted in Setswana and translated in Xhosa, with interjections in English (for my benefit, I believe). Thankfully, the two women sitting next to me guided me through the service and at some point I even attempted to follow the hymns in the Setswana language. The service was full of humour, laughter, perfunctory tuts, song, and dance. The highlights of the service for me were: witnessing the newly instituted rector and confirmation candidates making their vows; watching the streams of children returning after their Sunday School session singing and dancing as they came up to the front to be blessed by the Bishop (I joined in the English chorus: ‘We lift you higher… higher, higher…’). At the end of all the joyous celebration, the Bishop sprinkled us with water mixed with salt (symbolising the protection of God). Then, as is the case in any African celebration, we were invited to a wonderful spread of lunch. It wasn’t until 3 pm that we got home. But, my, what a blessed way to spend a Sunday… and all I can do is sing this African chant:

What shall I say, unto the Lord 
All I have to say is thank you Lord 
Thank you Lord 
All I have to say, is thank you Lord

Cathy Mark 

2 comments:

  1. Well done Cathy. I trust you are continuing to have a good time. May you be blessed in all you do and see. Give my love to everyone. Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy. Great to hear from you and to follow your exciting experiences in Matlosane. I trust it is all continuing to go well. Please thank Bishop Steve for his message of condolence after the Manchester bombing. I see that Archbishop Thabo Makgoba gave the closing sermon at the Kirchentag in Wittenberg in front of 120,000 people including a rep from this Diocese. Blessings for the coming days and love and greetings to our brothers and sisters in Matlosane.

    ReplyDelete